This course is based on VCI syllabus (VMC 211), covering topics on,
- Introduction and history of Microbiology.
- Morphology, structure, growth and nutrition of bacteria.
- Classification and nomenclature of bacteria.
- Sources and transmission of infection.
- Pathogenicity, virulence and infection.
- Resistance and susceptibility of host bacteraemia, septicaemia, toxaemia. endotoxins and exotoxins;
- Bacterial genetics. Plasmids, Antibiotic resistance.
- Introduction, morphology, growth, nutrition, reproduction in fungi, Classification of fungi.
- Introduction to viruses: General properties, Replication, Cultivation and Purification of viruses.
- Cell-Virus interactions. Viral genetics. Interferon.